Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Skiwoche (ski week) in Laax, Switzerland (13.-18. Dez. 09)

Alright! My last post and I am officialy up-to-date! Now I can concentrate on more important things; like reading German, figuring out grad school options (again), and so on and so forth. But for right now, let's go off to the story.
I went with the academy kids (freshmen-juniors) and a few teachers to the annual ski trip. This year was a little early (usually it's in January or February), but it worked out well. We had snow to work with, and we went to Switzerland!
We stayed in a small village called Laax: which is in eastern Switzerland. Something very unique in this part of Switzerland is the official language. Ok, Switzerland has 4 (German, French, Italian, and Rätterromanisch--I only know what it's called in German), and Rätterromanisch is the one that's used the most in the eastern region of the country. Again, I am grateful that I know Spanish, even though there were some words that were not related at all to anything I know in Spanish.
Last time I was in Bogi, I tried snowboarding during the ski week. I got as far as trying. At least I got over my fear of falling ('cause that was the only thing I did)! So this time, I thought I'd try my hand in skiing. I got as far as learning to make the curves: yeah, not far at all. I realized 2 things: 1, skiing is a heck of a lot easier than snowboarding, and 2, skiing is not for me. I didn't really enjoy it. I was happy when I only fell twice on the bunny hill, but I didn't really have fun. Besides, the ski boots were killing my feet. I don't remember ever experiencing so much pain in my feet (it was worse than high-heels)! I knew they had to be tight, but how tight? When your feet fall asleep, is that normal? I asked several people that, and a little over half said no. Even though I got bigger boots, it still hurt. I didn't think this was worth it, so I quit and decided to explore the place and study German while everyone else was hitting the slopes. Of course, how could I ever go exploring without my most faithful companion: my camera?!
Here are the highlights:
The picture says it all (in Rätterromanisch).

Where we spent the night during this week (13-18 Dez.)



As you walk down to the entrance of our lodge, this is what you see.


Ah, the bunny hill across the lake.


A cute house right next-door.


The gondola port on our 1st mountain.



The snowboarders learning, and the view.



I liked this.



Giving myself a break, and a photo opportunity.



It seemed like a good idea at the time.




At night, all sorts of colors come out.




The half-pipe for the extreme snowboarders.






There's a ramp way down there.



I thought I was getting better, 'cause I got bigger boots.





Our beginners' slope, next day.






I could not get over the view.





I have found my dream home!





Yip, the mountain has the word "Crap" in its name. Remember, this is not English.





I had a little accident with the pepper shaker.





How we got on and off the mountain.






Back in the village, you see this ancient language (it was used at the time of the Romans) with German.

Those of you who know a latin language, can you figure out exactly what this says?


I do love trees.
Back to the lake.


I was fortunate to find the Tourist office, 'cause they had free internet! Look at how different this keyboard is: it is not like the German or the English keyboard.



I love this charming village.



The long and winding road...
Getting back down the mountain after the last day. It was colder that day than it ever was! Look at my hair and how frozen it is!


Ok, back to the village.
I was told this was the "Grand Canyon" Switzerland. Too bad all my pictures of it came out slightly out of focus.
The lighted trees beside a roadside chapel.


You know how I love nature and love to be outside!
Well, this is it. I'm all caught up. I hope you all have a great and lovely Christmas with family and friends.
"A merry Christmas to all, and to all, a Good night."

No comments:

Post a Comment