Saturday, April 3, 2010

An Update

Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since mom's death and a lot has happened since. Let me give you the basic update:




Mom: Mom died on the 15th of March and was cremated the 20th. On the 25th, dad received her ashes. We have an idea of what to do with them, we just need to finalize the plans.




Dad: Dad is still working as a truck-driver. He was able to request his 1 (or 2) week vacation just in time for me to fly back to Bogi and back to the States. During the time I was gone, he set to go through all the papers and stuff mom has collected during the years. I think he became an archaeologist, 'cause he found stuff dating back to when mom was in middle-school (I kid thee not). He also went and visited Julia everyday while she was in respite care and took her out for a while. In short, as I was away, dad was not bored.




Julia: Julia has been her same-ol' self. On the day before I left for Bogi, dad and I dropped Julia off at the place she was gonna receive respite care. This is a house owned by an organization dedicated to offering services to the mentally-disabled (children as well as adults). This house was part of their respite care; in which they take care of a person on a temporary basis (I believe a week is the maximum). So, Julia stayed there and attended their day-services program (all sorts of activities) during the day (9 or 10 til 15).


From what dad told me, Julia got upset when dad returned her to the house; but after the 3rd day or so, she was fine and returned somewhat happily. The day after I returned, dad and I went to pick her up. She even gave the lady who was taking care of her a hug and kiss! This was a major relief; praise God that all went very well!


On April 1st, Julia was supposed to move into a house where she'll be receiving total care in a more permanent basis . . . only she couldn't. I found out that her budget wasn't approved yet . . . among other steps. We should be receiving word (hopefully) by at least Tuesday.




me: Me, well, I've had full responsibility of Julia since mom was admitted into the hospital--a week before she died. I bought my round-trip ticket to Munich around Feb. 20-something, not knowing what was going to happen within the month . . .


On March 24th, I flew back to Bogi to pick up the rest of my stuff, as well as take care of whatever else I needed to take care of (i.e. return the room keys, officially check-out of the dorm, get my deposits back, etc.). The next morning, I arrived to Bogi's campus and stayed til the morning of the 29th. Those were the best days of my life, since before finding out about mom's diagnosis. I am eternally grateful to God for allowing me to meet and befriend these Godsend of a people: they have certainly made the difference. I love them with all my heart.


After returning to the States, I was immersed under the whole situation and stress of caring for Julia and the household. All I ask of God is for the strength and patience to endure until this time is over (when Julia is in residential care and I'm in whatever is next).




A cousin of mine, Omelia (her mom and my mom were sisters) and her husband just visited Julia and I today. We spent the whole day together, talking and getting to know each other a little better (we've never had much contact before). They flew in last night and will be flying back tomorrow morning. I am glad they came: it was very thoughtful of them and appreciated. Godspeed to them as they fly back to San Antonio.




. . . well, that's it. If there is anything more, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment