Saturday, November 7, 2009

Wienreise (Vienna Trip)

Monday, 2. November, the Sprachschul left Bogi for the annual Wienreise. From Monday 'til Thursday, we Sprachschulers toured and explored Wien (Vienna). We've had many adventures and have plenty of stories to tell. For now, let the pictures tell their stories.
First off, we stayed in the Advent Mission (the same place I stayed for the weekend when I was there 2 weekends before for the Austria Choir). Here's the adventist sign in the main office.



Our 1st meal in Vienna was in this restaurant.


Someone else was quite excited . . .


That night, we went up on the Donauturm. This is a tower that goes up to about 215 meters above the city. What's really cool about this place is that it rotates! It makes a full revolution every 10 minutes or so. There's your 360 degree view of Vienna. I was here last time (last Wienreise), but it wasn't night. It was really cold, but I liked it!
They offer bungee-jumping. I absolutely refuse. I'll just take the picture and be content, thank you.



On the other side of the Donau canal.




Have I mentioned that I like heights? (as long as I'm protected)





This side of the Donau canal.




Remember what I said about heights with a sense of protection?



Tuesday: Here is Hofburg, the Hapsburg's (royal family) winter residence.

Parlament and Rathaus (City Hall) right behind it.
Inside Parlament


The Rathaus . . . with snow. Yep, it snowed in Austria on the 3. of November.
My personal detour: Haus der Musik, a hands-on museum dedicated to music and sound. I loved it, although I didn't have enough time to go through all of it as I wanted to. I would gladly go again.


This was the 1st floor





2nd floor. There were 3 more, but from here on I had to rush. :-(


That night, the Viennese delicacy: Sacher torte!





Wednesday: Schloss Schönbrunn, the Hapsburg's summer residence.


The Gloriette, the castle's "backyard". Not much was going on 'cause it was raining that day. Blah. Oh well, we still had fun.

Exhibit A.

The back of Schönbrunn

One of many paths belonging to the castle's park.

Concert at the Musikverein! Rachmoninov and Tchaichovsky!

We had standing tickets, but it was still good.

During intermission
After they were done.
Thursday: Hello, Mozart.
Schloss Belvedere. Used to belong to a general. Austria's independence was declared from the back balcony of this castle on 26. October, 1955.

The entrance to the "backyard"
There's the balcony.

A plaque and the door to the balcony from inside. It's an art museum now.

The "backyard"
Prater Station, the theme park with Vienna's ferris wheel (Reisenrad), one of the main sights of the city.

I wanted to go, but cash was running low, as well as time and the temperature. Okay, I'll take a picture and be content.

Well, those were the highlights from the Vienna trip, from my camera. There was a lot more that we did and saw, but for most of these places, either photography was forbidden or the pictures weren't good. So yeah.
Everyone left for Bogi Thursday afternoon, except me. I went to Eisenstadt. My next post will be over Eisenstadt and how it went for me. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment