Monday, November 9, 2009

Eisenstadt (take 2)

Last time I was in Austria, I went to visit and tour Eisenstadt on my own. There was only 1 problem: Everything was closed. I didn't know that this was normal; especially since I went between Christmas and New Year's. Okay, lesson learned.
Well, I thought, why not go and try again after the Wienreise? I'll already be in Eastern Austria and we have Friday free. To top it off, I know someone who lives closer to Eisenstadt and she told me I was welcome to stay with her. Perfect! So, I took advantage of this opportunity. Another thing, 2009 is pretty much declared as a "Hayden year". Hayden lived a large portion of his life in Eisenstadt. This town was making a big deal about him (it's 200 years since his death) and I was sure there was going to be some sort of deal, as far as attractions were concerened. Well, I didn't take much pictures, but the nicer ones I took, I've put on display here:





Walking from the train station to the city center, I came across this interesting landmark. The city wall (part of it) from the 1400s.

Schloss Esterhazy, where the royal family lived here and Joseph Haydn lived and worked there.


There was an interesting exhibition on Haydn in Esterhazy. It was kinda funky and modern, but interesting.



The Haydn Hall inside Esterhazy.


The sign above Haydn's house.



The entrance


In the building



A museum of diocesan objects. They had an exhibit on Haydn, so I thought "why not?"





Not in my itinerary, but very interesting nontheless. This was an important man from this state who gave his life for Austria's freedom from 1934-1938. He died in Dachau's concentration camp.




Haydn's botanical garden



Info about the garden



The Adventist church in Wiener Neustadt, about an hour away (southeast) from Vienna.



I don't remember ever being so close to woodpecker before




I had lots of spare time that Sabbath. This was the best shot (not the best of all time though).




A small figure the married couple I stayed with had. I was touched when I saw this. I liked that they had it right by a lamp, so I practiced a few interpretive shots. Not many, I confess, 'cause I didn't want to make the couple wonder what was wrong with me.
It was great. I had a nice relaxing time and got to see just about everything I wanted to see in this town, which is also the capital city of Burgenland (look it up in the Austrian map). I love small cities.
Well, I'm back in school and trying to get back into the roll of things. I was out for a week, after all. Hope you all are doing well and know that I do think of you and pray for you. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment